Instructions to Embed Captions for a Zoom Meeting
Embedded captioning service provides live streaming captions of what is spoken right in the Zoom window.
For Host of Zoom Meeting:
Reserve both Zoom meeting and captioning service at least 2 business days in advance. Request with less than 2 business days’ notice cannot be guaranteed to be filled.
1. Schedule a Zoom meeting.
2. Fill out a request form for captioning service.
- Select “Video Meeting/Webinar”.
- On the drop-down menu, select “Zoom”.
- Enter the Zoom meeting details – Zoom link, Conference/Meeting ID and, if required, Password.
- Submit the completed request form.
- You will receive a confirmation email for the captioning service within 1 business day.
Approximately 10 minutes before the scheduled start time, join your Zoom meeting. A “Closed Captioner” will also join the Zoom meeting.
1. Click “Live Transcript” at the bottom of the Zoom window.
2. Un-select “Allow participants to request Live Transcription” and do not click “Enable Auto-Transcription”. These will prevent the automated speech-to-text feature from interfering/overlapping with the live captioning service.
3. Click “Assign a participant to type”.
4. In the “Participants” panel, move your mouse over “Closed Captioner”, click “More” or "...", and select “Assign to Type Closed Caption”.
5. The Closed Captioner will now have the “CC" icon next to their name. The Closed Captioner will connect via the third-party caption API and begin to listen and type captions.
For Attendees of the Zoom Meeting:
Click “Live Transcript” at the bottom of the Zoom window and select “Show Subtitles” or “View Full Transcript”.
Captioning Support Service:
Please limit calls to this number for captioning issues.